Monday, May 25, 2009

Inspirational Monday


The day she told me I was wrong was the day everything in my life began to change.
---------
When I was really young...around the age of 4...I was popular by the "city kids" of Zumbro Falls standards. It was when I was completely 100% myself. I would play in the mud, catch bugs, and go to the playground every day. Other kids would always knock on my door and ask me to play with them or ask me to be the brave one to pick up a bug for some strange reason.
---------
When I got to elementary school I realized that I had to "fit in" and by 4th grade I had changed myself...I tried to be like everyone else around me and tried to like the things that they liked. It wasn't exactly who I was, but I didn't realize I was changing so much. I was always around people that would look at you funny if you did anything different.
---------
By 7th grade I felt really lost. I had lots of friends and I had a good life, but I actually found myself not studying because I didn't think it was "cool". I had finally saw myself as a person trying to fit in rather than an actual person.
---------
One day I said something that she didn't agree with. We went on to discuss ideas and I realized that in order to be more confident...I need an actual personality...I can't depend on others for what I want out of life. From then on I stuck with friends that all taught me different things as well as taught me to be more outgoing and different. I felt more comfortable about everything and could even say how I felt without worrying about whether or not people would agree, because the truth is...it doesn't matter.
---------
The librarians had given all the seniors a question "What is the most important thing you have learned in high school?" I never did get around to answer it, but if it were to be something it would be to stop worrying about what others think because being different is a lot more fun.
----------
Today I slept in, watched Scrubs, hung out with JDK, uploaded pictures, went to work, watched JDK & Kevin play tennis, dealt with more pictures, and came home to a short conversation with my mom.
----------
Things with my family are a little rough right now, but I feel like everything is going to work out. I enjoy spending time with my friends and work makes me feel productive. I don't think I would be where I am now if she hadn't told me I was wrong.
----------
Happy Memory Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment