Thursday, February 25, 2010

Blue: The Most Human Color

Becoming the Ocean
I struggle to push open my bedroom window;
My feet slip away from my body.
The frame wraps its fingers around my hair
And pushes me out,
Ripping the hair from my scalp and shattering the glass behind me.
I fall to the sharp rocks,
Scraping my lips and piercing my feet.
I leave a trail of blood

That leads back to that window.

I climb to the top of the cliff next to my house
Overlooking the ocean,
And cry until the whites of my eyes turn as red as the blood covering my feet.
I cradle my shaking legs while admiring the beauty of the water.

It makes me feel beautiful too.

Its life perfect and unbreakable.
The salty breeze kisses my bleeding lips;
The pouring rain from the sky leaves my hair rough and wet.

I became the ocean.

The sun crawls out from the clouds to comfort me
It warms my face and lifts my chin
And gives me a breath of fresh hope.

I go back to the window painted red.

No matter how hard I try to leave,
The waves carry me back.



Adventures under the Rain
I lay on the bed
And gaze out the window.
The raindrops dance upon the glass.

A chill brushes across the fine hairs of my arms.
The crisp mist blows onto my face,
The little droplets tickle my nose.

I close my eyes to dream
While my arms sweep across the soft, white blankets.
Ready to be carried away by the wind.

The hardwood floor below turns to water;
The sheets change to sails,
And I float to a land far away.

I reach to open my closet door;
Fluffy animals fall from the sky.
I have landed on a jungle island.

I grab a coat hanger to fight off the wild beasts.
I hide within the trees of clothing in my closet
Hoping the tiger won’t spot me masked in the weeds.

I feel the sweat drip from my brow,
Running all the way to my lips
And taste the sweet salt of the ocean.

I rush to the misty breeze coming from my window.
It blows my hair and dampens my lips.
My eyes are squinting to look across the grassy ocean.

I hold out my night light with desperation,
Hoping the other ships will see through the forest.
The trees shiver in the wind and crash against the roof.

I take a few steps backwards.
I fall onto the soft bed with my arms spread wide.
And open my eyes to find myself back in my room.

I smile, covering my eyes with my hands.
I hide under the warm, protective blankets,
Waiting for the next adventure under the rain.


---------

Hey,

That's the final version of that poem I posted a while ago (blog title: Poetry) as well as a new one. I like it more than before. Hopefully I do okay on both of them because they are my first grade in the class. I repeat once more...I am glad to be done with poetry. The fiction unit started yesterday. Yay!

I just have to survive less than 22 hours before the weekend.

Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment