Sunday, March 14, 2010

Adventures to Get to Uptown



All my friends in Minneapolis are completely, but not limited to, absolute awesomeness. This video is just one of many examples. I really love editing.

Friday night, I went on the most random adventure of my life while mourning the departure of Branden.

Kevin and I went downtown after getting frozen yogurt in Dinkytown. Originally we went to see the library, but when we got there it was 5 minutes before closing, so our viewing was limited. So, we decide to walk to uptown. Even though I have done this more than once, from the location we were at, I honestly had no clue how to get there, but I figured that eventually I could get us to end up there. For some reason I have this idea that Minneapolis is small or that I know it really well.

Anyways, we cross this epic bridge into a land where all the apartments are fancy and everything is beautiful. We stop at this small grocery store and get flavors of Arizona tea that we hadn't even heard of. We run into a bus stop that claims we are somewhere around Colombia Heights. There are some shady characters, but it's night so everything seemed shady. We walk around for a while deciding that everything is great. We run into the Minneapolis Museum of Art or something like that.

Anyways, the columns are lit up really pretty and it looks beautiful. We walk next to this gated community where about 10,000 crows are looking down at us and flying over us. It felt like something from a scary movie. Kevin, of course, stomps really loudly to get them to fly all over the place. They freak out. I notice people are going into the museum for some event and I realize that I have to use the restroom, so we thought we would check it out. It was definately some children's theatre things or something and we both became very aware that we were not 8 years old or a parent. It was pretty awkward.

Later, we think we know where we are. Things start becoming familiar. We run into an epic apartment and admire it from up-close. Kevin sneezes really loudly on the doorstep and we quickly walk away.

Approximately 1/2 hour later we realize that we no longer know where we are, but we run into Franklin Avenue and Garfield Street. We decide that it is the coolest crossing ever. We almost get hit by a car, I walk across a pile of puke, and the apartments continue to be awesome.

Approximately 1/2 hour later we find a building labeled Uptown. Everything seems awesome and we feel accomplished. Kevin says he knows where we are and everything is joyus. We walk into a shady gas station to buy scratch off tickets because we're feeling lucky. We weren't quite as lucky as we thought. We then walk into a record store and a witchcraft place. Both of which were interesting.

We continue our journey and after walking a while longer we realize we no longer know where we are. I see Lake Street ahead and know that that leads somewhere familiar in uptown. We don't know whether to go right or left so Kevin chooses a number for each side, I pick 1, so we go left.

Left, turns out to be very shady. Everything is in foreign languages and the residents are all out and about on a Friday night. I have to go to the bathroom again so we stop in a Walgreens, unfortunately they don't have a bathroom.

So we walk into a White Castle. Everything seems empty and this guy is mopping, but doesn't look up to acknowledge us. We walk out and stand outside the door. We both start commenting about how fucking creepy the place was, and then I look at the door and see a sign that says "We're listening and watching you." We both laugh and decide to try again. We walk in and on the bathroom doors it says "For paying customers only." Kevin doesn't like White Castle and I don't want to spend money so we're both staring at the menu. The guy asks us what we want. I'm like "well I just have to go to the bathroom" and he's like "Okay I'll buzz you in". While I'm gone the girl practically harasses Kevin asking him if he wants to order before or after I'm done. I use this dirty bathroom that was obviously made when automatic was popular because everything was just crappy automatic. I get out, nobody is around, so Kevin and I run for it.

We continue left thinking it was going to get better, however, it doesn't. We almost get attacked by an orange cat running across the street. A creepy couple looks at us asking if it was "Couple's Walking Night" and we're like whatttt? We turn around, see some more shady people and finally get back to somewhat normalness.

Pretty soon I see Cheapo and know exactly where we are. We rejoice that we made it successfully to Uptown and celebrate by going to Jimmy John's in this Mall area of Uptown. We watch some odd people pass by us, including Uptown's finest hipsters, a teenage boy holding his mother's hand, and a guy telling us about how he's ordering wings at this other place, but wants to know how Jimmy John's is.

After we eat, rest our legs, and laugh about our adventure, we get on the 6U and go back to my dorm to watch Will & Grace. On the bus there was an old lady that fell asleep and was twitching and licking her lips and it was pure craziness. Kevin was laughing and commenting and once she was awake she kept looking at him as he was commenting. She was wearing a whole bunch of clothes that looked really comfortable. We couldn't stop laughing.

We get back to my dorm, watch Will & Grace, then Kevin leaves and I go to sleep.

This whole adventure takes about 6 hours for us to get to a familiar Uptown location, and a total of 8 hours after everything is over. 4pm-midnight.

Epic Day.

Now I'm at home in Southern Minnesota, enjoying laziness by watching The Minus Man and Pulp Fiction. I love Pulp Fiction so much. Tomorrow I have my Travel Clinic appointment. Woo hoo Venezuela.

No comments:

Post a Comment