Monday, November 23, 2009

The Struggle with Life

Dear Reader,

The end is drawing near.
I've held on stong for this long,
And will continue to persevere.

Grasping the straggling strings
On the neverending unwinding rope,
With the tips of my fingers.

Reaching one arm above the next,
In the struggle to make it to the top,
Or even just to survive.

Some others have made it,
The rest have fallen down
Into the dark valley below.

The damp soil rubs against my knees
Smearing my legs in cold dirt
As I kick to get a better hold.

The rocks pierce my feet
And the blood drips off to a place unknown
Where the rest have gone.

I close my eyes
Wanting nothing more than a rest from the struggle
Just a moment to take a deep breath.

As I make my way to the top
With my muscles sore and throbbing
Sweat drips from my brow and crawls down my face.

Minutes pass and I continue to struggle,
Anticipating the moment when one way or the other,
I will be put to rest and held in the arms of relaxation.



The semester is almost over.
Life is loved.
Times are tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment