Saturday, December 19, 2009

Andrew & Krista go to Bobby and Steve's Auto World

My Humanities course introduced me to a new type of religion that I could see myself taking bits and pieces from, but not completely conforming to. It's called Stoicism.

The emphasis in stoicism is on virtue rather than pleasure for inner peace. It focuses on being passive on anything emotional because being emotional doesn't necessarily solve your problems. By focusing on those things that are within his power--his own will and perception--and detaching himself from the things that are not--health, death, the actions of others, natural disasters, and so on--he attains the inner peace of the wise and just man.

I really like certain ideas about this "religion" and certain things I find absolutely ridiculous.

I will share some quotes from the book Meditations by Marcus Aurelius every now and then that I think is actually worth something.

---------------------
In other news, I only have my Spanish final left and I have a feeling that it will be easy. My French final was harder than I imagined, but I should get the grade I need I hope. Two more days and I can stop thinking about school for a long time.

I have two volunteer jobs for next semester! One I am going to a meeting for on Monday at 11am. I need to figure out St. Paul by myself. Hopefully I can do it.

I went to a fun Christmas party in Maple Grove. I discovered there is another person added to my dislike list, but I discovered there are a lot of other people I really do like. In other news competitive/theatrical Catch Phrase is scary.

The Princess and the Frog is an excellent movie. I miss the classic animated Disney movies.

Today I am going shopping at Mall of America. I'm excited.

I wish you luck in your life!
--------------------------------------

"Do not let the future disturb you, for you will arrive there."

"Do not waste the remainder of your life in thoughts about others."

"Pain is neither intolerable nor everlasting if you bear in mind that it has its limits, and if you add nothing to it in imagination."

No comments:

Post a Comment